The new version of Displayport, aka 1.2, has now been officially unveiled. It brings the following new features:
- Doubling bandwidth mostly to support 3D: 21.6 Gbits/s.
- Connect even more monitors from a single DisplayPort. Dedicated hubs should soon be available.
- As for the HDMI, transport USB data between a computer and a display, supporting Display USB functions such as a webcam and USB hub.
- Connect to display with 3840 x 2400 resolution at 60Hz, or a 3D display (120Hz) at 2560 x 1600.
- Audio Copy Protection and category codes
- High definition audio formats (such as Dolby MAT, DTS HD, all BD formats,etc.)
- Synchronization assist between audio and video, multiple audio channels, and multiple audio sink devices using Global Time Code (GTC)
With future notebooks, we could have soon video, audio and USB going through a single port: DisplayPort.