Yet another thing that will irritate Apple a lot.
A plug-in for WinAmp (famous MP3 player on PC) allows to skip iTunes PC to manage the iPod.
It is possible to manage all iPod models, to make automatic updates of Playlists...
But the software goes further. It is indeed possible to remove the FairPlay protection of the songs bought on the ITMS. This feature, unacceptable for Apple who should be perfect towards Majors, runs the risk of a strong reaction from Apple.
It took us more time than the other times to overcome the arbitrary iDVD protection.
But after several days of intense concentration and hard work, we did it!
We modified iDVD so that it accepts to burn in double-layer mode on a non-supported DVD-burner.
This is how you'll have to proceed to do it:
1) Download the following file and uncompress it:
You'll get an iDVD file.
2) Find your iDVD application (it must be the 5.01 version) and CTRL-Click on it to "show package content".
3) Browse to Content/Mac OS.
4) Rename the original iDVD file that is inside (just in case) and put here the file you've downloaded.
5) Close all windows and launch iDVD which will now accept 8 Gb projects.
Some important remarks:
1) You of course need a Double-Layer DVD-burner
2) If you used PatchBurn III, you must remove the profile that has been created. Launch PatchBurn again and remove it.
3) If your burner is recognised as vendor-supported without the use of PatchBurn III, e.g. the Sony DRU-710A, things are a little bit trickier.
Go to the following folder:
System/library (bibliothèque)/frameworks/DiskRecording.frameworks/Version/A/Frameworks /DiscRecordingEngine.framework/Version/A/Resources/
and rename ou move the file VendorSupport.drprofile
You must have the root authorisations to do this.
4) We do not guarantee that the patch is working neither the quality of the burns made with it. If your burner is having problems, you will anyway be able to save the 8 Gb projects on your harddrive and burn them with a compatible burner.
MacBidouille did it once again with an Apple limitation!
[Update] Jean-Noël made a very small patch (1,2 Kb!) which launches the terminal and modifies iDVD all alone. Congratulations for that effective piece of work!
The patch is not working well and has been removed.